Reply To: Leaving W. Berlin

Home Forums General Discussion Leaving W. Berlin Reply To: Leaving W. Berlin

Larry Gustafson
Participant

Ed, Arrived in Berlin Aug. 1st 1966 and left Feb. 6th . 1969. Both ways was by plane, no boat. Was in the 287th and what a great assignment.  After getting out I  missed Berlin and the 287th and all those I knew and worked with. Did take alot of pictures while I was there. Day I left with another buddy we got together in back of the company and we rode in the lead MP car and behind us was one pov and another MP car and 3 jeeps and on our way to Tegel. Still keep in contact with several of the guys I was with. Got on the police department in April 69 and around 3 years after getting on we had 2 man cars and one of the guys I was working with started telling me how he went to college and got a degree instead of going in the service. He went on about it for awhile and how much more he knew etc. I just replied that’s good and I could go if I wanted to but probably won’t. I told him that my experience in Berlin, working with German Police and all the guys and the duties we had that you cannot buy it or read about it in a book and I would not trade it for nothing. After work went and had a few beers and had a good talk.